Thursday, September 20, 2012

Two Holes [Me]

The earring is gone. Yesterday it got worse and worse, until Cherish was having to actively block the pain from it. On the drive to pick up the Boss from work, we all talked about it. Everyone had their reasons for just letting it go. We couldn't sleep on it; we couldn't wear headphones; we risked it getting hit during play; the health consequences of repeated infections there. So we voted. Six votes to remove it. One vote to try it a while longer. And you'd think that vote would be Cherish, but I think she was tired of damping the pain. It was Paul. I still haven't learned his reason, but I suspect it has something to do with knowing it had been important to Cherish. So when we got home last night, Boss asked Cherish out and removed the earring, then had her clean the hole. And then he paid her a lot of attention for a while.

This morning we woke up more refreshed, because we hadn't woke ourselves up every time we turned our head. I feel better. I expected to feel some sadness, mostly from Cherish. But I think she said 'goodbye' to the earring as a mark of her Master's ownership when we removed the ring that was in there first. This bar wasn't hers in the way that one was. So it's just a sense of relief.

I once had three holes in one ear lobe and two in the other. And for nine months I had one in the top of my left ear. And now I have the standard two holes. I'm okay with that.

No comments:

Post a Comment