Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Health Concerns [Me]

All relationship stuff is more or less on hold for a few days while I deal with health stuff. Tomorrow, I'm having a liver biopsy. It doesn't seem like it's that big a deal, just a hassle. A $300 hassle. But one that it's time to deal with.

I've known that I have a fatty liver for a few years now. My liver enzymes have been a little elevated. Well, none of this is a surprise. I'm overweight. That means my sugar is also a little high, along with my cholesterol and triglycerides. Everything's a little high. My knees and ankles and feet ache from carrying too much weight. Losing, say, forty pounds would fix a lot of stuff with my health. This has been true for quite a while. But I've been feeling okay, and putting off dealing with it.

When I had my physical this year, everything was a little elevated. Except my Ferritin, which was extremely high. So I've been to see a gastroenterologist. He's thinking hemochromatosis, and so we drew blood to check for a genetic marker for it, and we're doing the biopsy as well to check that way. If he's right, then I'll start having blood drawn regularly, and that should take care of the problem. Reading up on hemochromatosis, if there is a genetic tendency toward it in my Dad's family, it would explain why we all seem to get joint pain issues as teenagers. It also affects a number of other systems. And it's easy to treat. So, biopsy tomorrow.

That said, regardless of the outcome of the biopsy, it's time to lose weight. So I'm trying to eat a little healthier and in smaller quantities, which has been an ongoing thing for a year or so. But we're also going to join the YMCA and start having family workout day. Not thrilled with the idea, but I'm also not dreading it like I thought I would. It'll be fun to do it as a group. I hope.

Anyway, just an update to let people know what's going on with my body instead of my mind(s) this time.

No comments:

Post a Comment