Tuesday, May 17, 2011

So I'm out to my daughter. Sort of. (Me)

My daughter is home from college. For the summer. I've had some discussions, both internal and external, about what that would mean for my household while she's home. While she's been gone, my household has become more and more a home/safe haven/hang-out place for a bunch of the kinky folk. I couldn't see closing down Motel M for several months. So I talked to my daughter about it. You know, I raised a really open-minded, cool person. She had a few very reasonable requests, having to do with the level of undress in the house and the use of her room. So I announced to the household that it's living as usual.

I teach a class at our local dungeon - "Dungeon 101: I'm Kinky, So Now What?" And one day last week, my daughter came upon some of the material for that class. She read the title out loud, and we held my breath, waiting for the reaction. She asked what the class was about, and that led to showing her the visual aids I use for the class. So I'm out to my daughter as kinky. She's fine with it, which I expected. She talked with her boyfriend about it, and let me know that she doesn't want to go to the dungeon herself, but she's fine with my lifestyle. We talked a little about some of the relationships I have, just for clarification.

So I'm out to my daughter as a kinky freak. And that went fine. I haven't talked to her about my multiplicity yet. I'm not sure if I'm going to. But her being around is already starting to put some pressure on our internal balance. If she's around, I'm out. I'm her Mom, and that's how it needs to be. Which means that the rest of us need to get out more when she's not around. She's a busy person; that's not too difficult. But we need to do so deliberately.

Am I being a coward? By all indications, she would take the news of my multiple personality status calmly and easily. I'm not sure if I'm protecting my daughter from having to deal with this, or protecting myself from having to tell her. Either way, we'll let the kinky out-ing settle in first before we tackle the possibility of coming out the rest of the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment