Friday, May 18, 2012

My Friendship Expiration Date [Me]

I've discovered that I/we have about a two-year cap on relationships. My first marriage, abuse and all, lasted half that. My second husband left about 10 days after we hit the two-year mark. I've had several other relationships that ended somewhere around that point, too.

And now I've ended things with the Bear. Technically, we made two years last November, and we're just now officially ending. But then again, I've seen him very little in the last half-year. It pretty much ended at about two years.

The only relationships I've had that have remained strong for more than two years have been with my mother and my daughter. My best friend and I have been friends for over 25 years, but we only seem to remain close for a couple of years at any given time. Then we drift apart for a year or two, and later start hanging out again more. We're about due to get friendly soon.

I have had theatre pals that I've been friends with for more than two years at a time, but theatre friendships have their own rhythm. During a show, you see each other every night and you are all each others' best friends. Then you might go six months or more and barely speak, until you're cast in a show together again. It's kind of like school friends or coworkers - you become friends because you're always around each other. But as soon as you're apart, you never really see each other again, despite your best intentions to do so.

So I've warned the Boss about this two-year expiration point that my friendship seems to have. He appears to be amused at the idea, and not take it seriously. But this is one of my personal superstitions, built over time. One of these days, he wants to permanently mark me as his. You know when I'm thinking is a good time for that? After we've passed two years.

No comments:

Post a Comment