Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Do We Look Queer To You? [Me]

I've been thinking a lot lately about sexual identity. As a whole, rather than as an individual. If we're having a conversation, and you ask my orientation, well, I'm a straight female. Absolutely heterosexual, and no doubt female, despite my tomboyish tendencies.

But I'm not the only one in here, and as much as various alters are getting 'face time' these days, it's time to consider 'our' orientation as opposed to 'my' orientation. Cherish certainly shares my straight orientation, in fact holds it to a further extreme, with many overtones of the Gorean subculture.

Sam and Rubi are definitely female, and they both seem to have a clear preference for men in play and in sex, but I get the sense that it's not as defined a preference. The only stopping point being that we like having a penis involved in our sex, so we want a man in our bed. But there are plenty of sexual activities we like that don't have to involve a penis, or where a manufactured one would work well enough. So I guess they would qualify as 'heteroflexible'.

The Boss has a female alter, which matches nicely with my male alter, Jarett. He will only participate in sexual activity with the Boss if he is certain she is out; he wants nothing to do with any male alters in that realm. So the penis is pointing the wrong way, but it works out for them. But Kiara also sometimes shows a preference for his female alter, though she's also happy with his primary 'face', too. Mostly she just wants attention from her adult, and she gets it. But though I haven't had the opportunity to test it, I suspect she would somewhat prefer female partners.

My other male alter, Paul, only wants that kind of attention from a male, however. He's only starting to admit it, but the rest of us are certain, that the boy is gay. Silent One doesn't seem to register gender, nor have one of its own. Lynn and Gracelyn have both stated that they have no interest in sex on their own. Lynn because she would rather remain impartial, and Gracelyn because she has objections to the messiness and violence of the activity.

So here's what we've got:
2 heterosexual females
2 heteroflexible females
1 bisexual female
1 heterosexual male
1 homosexual male
2 nonsexual females
1 non-gender-differentiating

Confusing enough there. So I looked up 'queer' on my friend the wikipedia.
The range of what "queer" includes varies. In addition to referring to LGBT-identifying people, it can also encompass: pansexual, pomosexual, intersexual, genderqueer, asexual and autosexual people, and even gender normative heterosexuals whose sexual orientations or activities place them outside the heterosexual-defined mainstream, e.g., BDSM practitioners, or polyamorous persons.
Well, that certainly seems to fit. Starting with the BDSM and polyamory, I've been queer all along! So we're going to use the term Queer to refer to our orientation as a system for now, even if not for me as an individual.

No comments:

Post a Comment