Sunday, December 18, 2011

What's It Like? [Me]

Time for reading in other multi's blogs! Today's selection: http://twcrew.blogspot.com/2011/08/whats-it-like-to-switch.html - "What's it like to switch?" is the topic. This multi likens DID to the old TV show Quantum Leap. And I went - "Yeah! That!"


I had to be like Sam Beckett trying to figure out the missing pieces, while preventing people from realizing I was someone else, and trying to figure out what tasks had to be done before I leapt out of there.


Sudden and unexpected switches are JUST like that. I don't often have that kind of switch - usually it's an intentional thing. But when I find myself suddenly in control, there are several moments of quietly checking out where we're at. Is there a clock nearby? Who's around - and do I know them? Was I wearing these clothes last time I was at? There are a lot of contextual clues that I've learned to check to figure out what's going on. Hopefully, by the time I've decoded those clues, whoever was just out will make some notes on the mental whiteboard to help me re-integrate to the outside.


I was talking with the b/f last night about switching, and the pressure in my head when a switch is  in progress. And the best description of the effect is the Degauss effect on a monitor: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bdJQ7Vptn_U&feature=related. A clear view from whatever alter is in charge, then a degauss shudder, and a clear view from the new person in charge.

No comments:

Post a Comment