Friday, December 2, 2011

Reading Multiplicity... Reactions People Have [Me]

I'm mad at Google. The other day, I marked about six blogs to follow, including Sunshine and Shadows. And they are all gone now. A couple of them also follow Sunshine and Shadows, so I can find them from there to follow, because I made comments there. But I was looking forward to reading them, so I'm unhappy. And I can't remember how I found them before.

So I'm reading one now that's called Multiplicity, which is a word I use a lot to refer to my 'condition'. Because I don't like using the word 'disorder' - I don't feel like it's messed up my life enough to call it a disorder.

When people find out about the DID there are 2 reactions I wait for - the first when they hear about it, the second when they actually meet one of my alts - particularly a little one. Its not that people don't believe me when I first explain it - they just cant really comprehend it - I can understand that... There is such a difference between hearing about something and actually seeing it. I am never sure someone is really okay with me having DID until after they have spent time with at least one of my alts.

I agree with her on this. Lots of people that I've told about my multiplicity basically shrug and say okay. And I don't know what kind of 'okay' that is until they actually interact with an alter. I've learned that 'okay' can mean all kinds of things:
"Okay, sure. I don't know what you're talking about, so I'll just agree with you."
"Okay, it sounds reasonable. I'll just treat you all as M-, right?"
"Okay. Hey, you're someone new - but we're friends just like with your primary, aren't we?"
"Okay. Hey, it's nice to meet you. I'm friends with your primary. I'd like to get to know you, too."

Some of our friends are really close to various ones of us. Kiara, particularly, has made a few of her own specific friendships.

2 comments:

  1. Update - the seven blogs I was trying to follow are now showing up again. Six days later.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And they're gone again. [shakes fist at Google]

    ReplyDelete