Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Colors and Images (Me)

Someone introduced herself to me by telling me a kid in her life said she was 'pink' and 'good'. And Kiara understood that immediately on a level that I don't think most adults have. And I've been working on a set of descriptors for each of us lately that includes a color that each of us carries around with us. Some people will call that an aura, or a totem color, or whatever. I don't really care what it's called; I've always seen people with a signature color. Sometimes it's because they wear a lot of that color, but sometimes it's just the way I feel around them. And there's often a certain theme image that associates itself with people. Sometimes an animal that person identifies with, other times an image from their career or hobbies. Or just something they like a lot. I have several friends that identify themselves with cats, as example. So here are some colors and images associated with my alters.

I'm Red. I always saw my Mom as Red when I was growing up, and as I've grown up, I've become more and more like her, including taking Red as my color. I have a red truck and prefer to wear my red leather jackets. I like red clothes and jewelry and drink lots of Cokes. My phone is red, my purse is red, my usb drive is red. It's just a color that feels comfortable to me.

Kiara is Blue and Butterflies. Blue is calm and curious. And butterflies are active and pretty and have a short attention span. This is her answer when I ask her why blue and butterflies. And all those things are traits she displays. She has a suitcase for her stuff that's blue with flowers. And she often colors with the blue crayon first.

Sam is Red, like me. We're very similar. She's also Purple. She likes most of the same things I do. She has a lot of energy and prefers to be on the go all the time. She's open and friendly, but also can be very demanding of attention. She loves to laugh, either with or at. And she loves to irritate someone to see how far they can be pushed before they push back. She has a lot of electicity in her personality. And I hope you understand that one, because I'm not sure I can explain it.

Rubi has to be Black, of course. Darkness, anger, pain... all those negative black emotions. Jarett is Brown. He's solid like dirt and wood, he's leather and something simple and solid. And he's an old cowboy hat, useful and comfortable and attractive. Counselor is Lilac and Lace. And her image is a clipboard - for taking notes for the rest of us, of course. And Silent One is the Grey of static on a TV that's not hooked up to anything.

So what's your color? How does that color feel to you?

No comments:

Post a Comment