Tuesday, March 13, 2012

I'm Not THAT Kind of Christian [Me]

A friend saw my new formal collar and asked me, "Why did he choose a cross for you?" And it made me sad. Because that tells me that my friend had no clue that I am a Christian. My Master is not Christian, and neither is his other girl. But he honors my faith by giving me a cross for his collar.

Here in the South, being Christian is almost a given, usually. But in the kink community it is not. Christians have been so judgmental and intolerant, as a group, that it has driven many folks of non-Christian faith together. Many of them have landed in the kink community, and I would say that Christians in kink are a large minority, rather than the huge majority, as it is outside our community.

However, I've always believed that if I were living my Christian faith properly, it should show in my life so strongly that I should not need to tell people what faith I follow; it should be obvious. My faith, and the way I behave because of it, should put a kind of light into my life that makes people want to have what I have, want to believe what I believe. They should look at me and say, "Oh yes, she's a loving Christ-like person; I want to know her God." So for someone that I know to be surprised when I said I was a Christian... that made me sad, as if I had failed to live with love in my life.

But I was talking with another friend, and she brought a different perspective to this. She said that she has seen that peace in my life; she has wanted to have what I have. And perhaps the reason that someone was surprised I am a Christian has nothing to do with my relationship with God, but instead has to do with other Christians. Unfortunately, there are many people that identify themselves as Christians, but what I see in their lives is hate and intolerance. I don't want to be associated with those folks.

Other Christians would quickly denounce my lifestyle. I'm living in sin in a polyamorous relationship. I have multiple sex partners. I let - no ask - people to hit me with things. And I run around naked in front of people that I'm not married to! And let's not even consider what they'd do with my multiplicity - an exorcism for demon possession, maybe? So yes, I live a life many Christians would describe as sinful and horrible. You know what? I didn't ask them, anyway.

I have an understanding with my God, my ultimate parent figure; we're good. And I live the way that I feel He would want me to. I practice tolerance and love. I love those around me as if they are mine. I strive to improve myself and hold myself to high standards of honor. I try to be kind and generous to others - not just other Christians, but to all others. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. But I try.

So I take it as a compliment that I don't look like those 'loud Christians' - please don't see me in their light. But I find it sad that when I tell someone I am a Christian, what they see is how different I am from those Christians, instead of seeing how much I try to be like Christ. My faith is strong; my religion needs an overhaul.

2 comments:

  1. It's funny, reading this post reminded me of this picture: http://tinypic.com/r/2w4cha9/5

    I'm not terribly religious, but I do believe, not in tolerance, but acceptance. I think it takes a lot more effort.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When The Dalai Lama was asked "What is your religion?", his response was "Compassion and kindness, after all, that is the root of all religions". He said this on television with a warming and generous smile. You could tell each word was well thought out before said, the wisdom is what is amazing. In Buddhism my dear, your compassion shared with all is highly admirable and thank you for sharing your compassion in relation to following the dharma path of Christianity. Hugs

      Delete