Sunday, November 25, 2012

Hey, Mom, I'm Poly [Me]

Three of my last four posts have been about being poly, not about being multiple. And this one will be, too. I'll try to return to my primary subject soon. But this is important, too, to all the people inside me. Because I came out to my Mom as poly this weekend. Not intentionally - no, I wouldn't intentionally do that on Thanksgiving weekend, which is also my Mom's birthday. But she asked.

When I moved in with Boss, I did mention to her that I was moving in with Boss and Metamour. Well, I gave her names, of course, but this is a blog, yadda yadda yadda... At the time, she asked who that other person is. And I just said she lived with Boss. I added that Boss took care of her because she's sick, and had a commitment to do so. And Mom veered away from that conversation, so I let it drop. In fact, her final comment on it was that we shouldn't mention her to my step-Dad, because he wouldn't get it. I agreed. So in conversation with my step-Dad, Metamour's name has never really been mentioned. But I haven't made any effort to talk around mentioning her to my Mom.

So this weekend, after one such mention, my Mom asked, "What exactly is their relationship?" I replied that she is also Boss's girlfriend. "And you're okay with this?" I assured her that I am; more than okay, really. "It's like a Mormon thing, then?" I told her we use the term polyamory; the 'mormon thing' has more to do with religion, but yeah, they practice(d) polyamory.

Mom then brought up how she teases that my step-dad's singing partner is sometimes referred to as her 'sister-wife' because it takes both of them to keep him on his toes and up to date. I said, yes, it's like that. And we talked about some of the advantages of having two women to keep a man straight. It happens in the theater a lot to me, too. And so we talked about some of the advantages of being in a triad - many of the ones discussed in my last post.

Finally, Mom summed up the conversation by saying that all she really wants is for me to be happy. And it appears to her that I'm happier now than I've been in previous relationships, so it must be a good thing for me, so she supports it. So I'm out to my Mommy as poly, and she's supportive. The step-dad, well, that may not happen for some time, if ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment