Wednesday, November 30, 2011

We're Not the Only Ones [Me]

I finally found some other MPD folks' blogs, and now I'm engrossed in reading through from the beginning. The first I'm reading is called 'Sunshine and Shadows'. I love that. Because you have to have the one to appreciate the other.

I commented on a post where she shows pictures of things - treasures - one of her alters has bought. I remember the first time I woke up with stuff in my house that Kiara had bought. It was confusing, but cute. And it made me smile.

I also commented on a post about memories. Memory is a funny and unreliable thing. Ask three people that had lunch together what they talked about, and you'll get three wildly different answers - and sometimes conflicting. And for a multi, it's like getting up and going to the restroom during that conversation, then later being told, "Oh, you remember when she told that story, don't you? It was so funny!" Do I remember it? Was I even there for it? And that's confusing and maddening sometimes.

And then she has a post where she talks about going shopping with one alter in charge, and having to force a quick switch to try and recognize two ladies that came up to talk to her - her mother and her sister. That's always a panicky moment, when people come up to talk and we can't remember who they are. Maybe one alter will speak up and say who they are. Maybe we'll quickly switch. Maybe whoever is out will just have to fake it until there are enough contextual clues to figure out who they are. In fact, I had that moment of panic today when I went to have lunch with a friend, and she got there first. Several of the alters know her, but what if we didn't recognize her? We did, though, and it was all okay. Still, the panic is there.

More reactions from this blog tomorrow. Or soon, at least.

No comments:

Post a Comment